Mostly Cloudy
69°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

No injuries, $7,500 damage in St. Charles garage fire

Published: Friday, May 16, 2014 9:39 p.m. CDT

ST. CHARLES – A fire in a garage caused $7,500 in damage Friday afternoon at a residence at 1612 Ronzheimer Ave., St. Charles, according to a news release issued by the St. Charles Fire Department.

According to the release, the fire was reported at 1:28 p.m., and firefighters arrived at the scene at 1:33 p.m. They found a fire in the attached garage of a two-story single-family home, and they were able to put out the fire in about 15 minutes.

The cause of the fire was attributed to an electrical malfunction of aerating equipment for a fish tank, the release stated. No occupants were home at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries to firefighters. The fire was noticed by a UPS driver who noticed smoke coming from under the garage door and called 911.

Firefighters remained at the scene until 2:46 p.m, the release stated, completing operations and conducting the investigation, according to the release. The loss of $7,500 includes damage to the structure and contents of the garage.

Fire departments from Geneva, Batavia and West Chicago assisted the St. Charles Fire Department. The Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District provided coverage while St. Charles units were at the fire.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

More News

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Sandburg calls out 3 schools for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

Do you make donations to charity?
Yes, every year to the same one
Yes, to different charities at different times
On a case by case basis
Not currently