Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Felon faces gun charges
A Berwyn man faces weapons charges following a report of a domestic dispute July 13.
A woman in the 6300 block of 13th Avenue called police from a locked bathroom to report a domestic disturbance and said that her boyfriend hit her and warned that he had a hand gun that he kept in the apartment.
Police arrived and forced open the door to the apartment after the woman, who was still on the phone with police, refused to leave the bathroom and open the door out of fear for her boyfriend.
Police discovered a couch had been pushed in front of the door when they entered.
Inside the apartment, they found Daryl D. Meeks, 33, of the 5400 block of West Haddon Street, Chicago, who said he didn't hear police knocking. He also said he never struck the woman didn't have a gun.
A gun was later recovered by police.
Meeks was charged with domestic battery, unlawful use or possession of a weapon by a felon, and possession of a firearm and ammunition without a firearm owner's identification card.
Cicero man waving toy gun charged with reckless conduct
A Cicero man who was reported waving what later proved to be a toy gun at people in the street was charged with reckless conduct and disorderly conduct at 4:36 p.m July 15.
William P. Valencia, 25, of the 2400 block of South 57th Street, Cicero, was reported to be walking westbound in the 6400 block of Cermak Road with an Uzi-style weapon in his hand, waving it at passers-by.
Police secured Valencia, who told them the gun was a toy and that he was just playing around with his girlfriend and nephew, pointing it at them and making shooting noises. Police recovered the gun and confirmed it was a toy.
Valencia's girlfriend told police he was only fooling around when he pointed the fake gun at her.
A felony upgrade was later approved for the disorderly conduct charge based on the dangers to responding officers driving through heavy traffic with lights and sirens activated trying to get to the call.
Lyons man cited for marijuana
A Lyons man was cited for possession of marijuana following a traffic stop at East Avenue and 18th Street at 8 p.m. July 28.
Steven B. Elliott, 23, of the 4000 block of Amelia Avenue, revealed to officers that he had marijuana in the vehicle. Police recovered 5.2 grams of marijuana. Elliott was issued a P-Ticket citation and paid a fine of of $275.
A rash of gang graffiti was reported in the 3700 block of Wenonah and Clinton avenues July 14.
A total of six structures were tagged in the 3700 block of Wenonah Avenue and three structures were tagged in the 3700 block of Clinton Avenue. There was a report of graffiti in Freedom Park, 3701 Scoville Avenue, as well.
There were also reports of graffiti in the 1400 block of South Wisconsin Avenue, in the 1300 and 1400 blocks of South Kenilworth Avenue, in the 3600 block of South Oak Park Avenue, in the 3500 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, two properties in the 3500 block of South Cuyler Avenue, and one report in the 3600 block of South Elmwood Avenue.
Several reports of graffiti were also received by police on July 17. Graffiti was reported in the 3500 block of Home Avenue , 3500 block of Clinton Avenue, 3500 block of South Gunderson Avenue, at Pershing School, 6537 37th Street, and the 2800 block of Lombard Avenue.
Burglary and theft reports
• A tool box with tools, an iPod Touch and work boots were reported stolen from a garage in the 2200 block of South Gunderson Avenue July 16. Entry was gained through a forced service door.
• Newly installed copper tubing was reported stolen from the first floor and basement of a home under renovation in the 2200 block of South Wesley Avenue July 16.
• A wallet containing $400 in cash was reported stolen from within a business in the 2700 block of South Ridgeland Avenue July 16. Security video showed a man looking through the windows of the business as the owner of the wallet was in the rear of the business. The man then reached into the purse, took the wallet and left.
• A computer, two studio monitors and an audio interface were reported stolen from a garage in the 1500 block of South Elmwood Avenue July 16. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A jewelry box containing jewelry and $800 in cash was reported stolen from a residence in the 6900 block of West Riverside Drive July 14.
• A diamond ring and a Toshiba tablet computer were reported stolen from a residence in the 1300 block of South East Avenue July 11.
• An iPad, a Coach brand shaving bag with toiletries and a checkbook were reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the 6700 block of West 31st Street July 11.
• A lawnmower was reported stolen from a garage in the 3100 block of South Harvey Avenue July 13.
Billy Valentin, 57, of the 3300 block of South Harlem Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol after jumping a median and striking a flower planter in the 7100 block of Cermak Road at 4:33 a.m. July 13. Valentin had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. He was also charged with improper lane usage and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.
Burglary and theft reports
• An HP2000 computer and $200 in cash was reported stolen from a residence in the 5200 block of South 25th Place July 18. Entry was gained through an unlocked front door.
• Several power tools and hand tools were reported stolen from a garage in the 1500 block of South 59th Court July 20. Entry was gained through a forced service door.
• A stereo face and a wallet were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1500 block of South 48th Court July 19.
• An iPhone was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 4700 block of of West 12th Place July 20.
• A tan, 1992 Chevrolet van was reported stolen from the 5000 block of West 31st Street July 16.
• A silver, 2000 Honda Civic was reported stolen from the 5500 block of West 18th Street July 20.
• A router, weed trimmer, leaf blower and HTC cell phone were reported stolen from a van in the 2900 block of South Cicero Avenue July 15.
• A Burberry purse containing a driver's license and numerous credit cards was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 6000 block of Cermak Road July 15.
• A stereo was reported stolen from the dashboard of a vehicle in the 3500 block of South 55th Court July 15. Entry was gained by prying open the driver's door.
• A Craftsman tool box with hand tools and an air compressor were reported stolen from a residence in the 1800 block of South 60th Court July 14.
• Two bicycles were reported stolen from a garage in the 3600 block of South 58th Avenue July 14. The door was unlocked at the time.
• A Samsung tablet, $100 in cash and a Mexican Consulate Identification Card was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1200 block of South 61st Avenue July 14.