Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Man cries wolf to police, charged
A 20-year-old Berwyn man was charged with disorderly conduct after falsely reporting a home invasion and theft because he couldn’t pay his monthly rent to his father on Jan. 2.
Nicholas Estrada, of the 1500 block of Kenilworth Avenue, went to his neighbors home to report that two men entered his attic apartment, bound him with duct tape and robbed him at gunpoint, taking three pairs of Nike Air Jordan tennis shoes, electronic equipment and $250 in cash.
Evidence technicians found no evidence of glue residue on his wrists or ankles. Estrada later confessed he made up the story because he had spent the rent money on the shoes a few days before.
Estrada said he placed pieces of duct tape on the floor of the apartment to make it appear the home invasion actually took place.
Theft of services, and a meal
A Lombard woman was charged with theft of labor and services after treating herself to dinner and drinks at a Berwyn restaurant without having any means to pay on Jan. 2.
Maria Rubio, 50, of the 900 block of Grace Avenue, Lombard, told the manager of La Quinta Restaurant she was waiting for someone to come in and pay her bill of $62. Rubio was asked to pay at closing time, eight hours after she arrived, or was told she would be reported to police.
Police arrived and Rubio told officers she would pay later if allowed to leave.
She was taken into custody and charged.
Man charged after kicking open doors
A Berwyn man was charged with criminal damage to property and criminal trespass after he heavily damaged the door of an apartment building at 1:20 a.m. Jan. 1.
A tenant of the apartment in the 2200 block of Ridgeland Avenue heard loud voices outside and looked out the window to see Giovanni Rodriguez, 32, of the 7100 block of Riverside Drive, charging the door to the vestibule. Rodriguez punched the glass window and began kicking the door until it burst open. The tenant called police.
Rodriguez was there when police arrived and he said he went outside to smoke a cigarette after an argument with his girlfriend and the door locked behind him. Police later found that Rodriguez had been attending a party at a building on the same block and broke out the front windows there as well.
Patrons nab purse thief
Bar patrons detained a man who attempted to steal a purse from a woman on Jan. 1.
Matthew Fey, 28 of the 3000 block of South Oak Park Avenue, was seen taking the purse off the bar at George’s Tavern, 6741 Stanley Ave., and began to walk out the door. The woman who owned the purse followed Fay outside and confronted him, followed by several patrons in the bar who grabbed Fey and held him until police arrived.
Fey was charged with theft.
Police investigate shots fired
Police are investigating reports of shots being fired at a group of people at about 2 a.m. Jan. 1. in the 1300 block of South Lombard Avenue
A man told police he and two friends were standing on the porch of a home when two males walked by and a confrontation began with one of the males fleeing.
Three other males dressed in dark clothing appeared coming from the end of the street and one fired several shots from a handgun. Another witness told police she saw the shooter as well.
The male who was originally involved in the altercation was questioned and released by police. The investigation continues.
Man knocked down when he returns home
A resident reported that he was knocked down by an unknown man as he entered his home in the 1800 block of South Harvey Avenue at 5:47 p.m. Dec. 31.
The victim said he was pushed to the ground by the unknown man as he was exiting the rear door of the residence. No items were missing and there were no signs of forced entry.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle on Jan. 2, in the 1900 block of South Scoville Avenue.
• Jewelry, two televisions and numerous pieces of other electronic equipment were reported stolen from a residence in the 1800 block of South Highland Avenue at 3:38 a.m. Jan. 1. Entry was made through a window next to the back door.
• A black, 1998 Accura was reported stolen Dec. 31 from the 3700 block of South Wesley Avenue.
• A red, 2008 Silverado truck was reported stolen Dec. 30 from the 3200 block of South Ridgeland Avenue.
• A silver, 2003 Saturn was reported stolen Dec. 30 from the 1900 block of Scoville Avenue.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen Dec. 30 from a vehicle parked in the 1500 block of South Scoville Avenue.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle parked Dec. 30 in the 6600 block of West 19th Street.
• Four AMG wheels were reported stolen from a vehicle in a garage Dec. 30 in the 1400 block of South Wenonah Avenue.
• Jewelry and $1,600 in cash was reported stolen from a residence Dec. 30 in the 1400 block of South Wenonah Avenue. Entry appeared to be gained through a rear window.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle Dec. 30 parked in the 2500 block of South Gunderson Avenue.
• A tool box and tools worth $1,400 was reported stolen from a vehicle Dec. 28 in the 1600 block of South Gunderson Avenue. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen Dec. 28 from a vehicle parked in the 1600 block of South Scoville Avenue.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen Dec. 28 from the 2300 block of South Cuyler Avenue.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen Dec. 28 from a vehicle parked in the 1300 block of South Euclid Avenue.
Police investigate suspicious garage fire
Police are investigating a suspicious garage fire that broke out at about 2:10 a.m. Dec. 30 in the 1800 block of South 56th Court. The victim told police he is a gang member and was having problems with a rival gang. He reported a small fire on the outside corner of the garage at ground level.
Burglary and theft
• A 1996 maroon Chrysler SUV was reported stolen between Dec. 28 and 29 from the 5600 Block of West 15th Street.
• The catalytic converter from a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire was reported stolen between Dec. 27 and 28 in the 1300 block of South 61st Avenue.