Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Berwyn woman held at knife point, robbed
A Berwyn woman was grabbed by a man who held a knife to her throat in a gangway, then robbed her of a pack of cigarettes at 3:14 p.m. March 19 in the 6800 block of 19th Avenue.
The 31-year-old woman said she went outside to throw out some garbage when a man grabbed her in the gangway in the 1900 block of the Kenilworth and Grove avenues alley. He then pressed a kitchen knife to her throat and pushed her against a staircase. The man, who never spoke throughout the incident, released the woman and grabbed a pack of cigarettes she dropped when both of them heard voices in the alley.
The woman sustained scratches where the man held the knife to her throat.
Car out of control, hits 2 vehicles, 3 storefronts
A car crash resulted in the damage of three storefronts, a light pole, a sign post and three vehicles at 8:20 p.m. March 20 in the 6700 block of Cermak Road.
A vehicle driven by a 36-year-old Riverside woman was traveling east on Cermak Road when her foot slipped off the brake, causing her to swerve to avoid hitting a vehicle in front of her. She struck a light pole and sign post then veered back on to the road, ending up in the westbound lanes and striking a vehicle there, then another in the eastbound lanes.
Her vehicle and the second vehicle she struck then crashed into a building and three storefronts.
The woman was cited for damage to city property and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. No injuries were reported.
• Marcos J. Zacarias, 23, of the 1000 block of Meadowlark Lane, Darien, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding at 12:30 a.m. March 20 near Cermak Road and Ridgeland Avenue. He also was charged with speeding.
• Miguel A. Hernandez, 21, of the 3500 block of East Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol, fleeing and eluding police and numerous other charges when he was apprehended after he finally stopped his vehicle during a police pursuit for speeding, and fled on foot at 2:55 a.m. March 18 in the 2300 block of Wesley Avenue. He also was charged with two counts of fleeing and eluding, aggravated fleeing and eluding, five counts of disobeying stop signs, two counts of speeding, disobeying a do not enter sign, no insurance and driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
Burglary and theft reports
• A special needs bicycle valued at $3,000 was reported stolen March 20 from a garage in the 2500 block of South Gunderson Avenue. There were no signs of forced entry.
• An attempted burglary was reported March 19 in the 2100 block of South Grove Avenue. A window at the rear of the building was forced open.
• A bong, glass pipe and three Kicker Box speakers were reported stolen March 19 from a residence in the 6900 block of West 26th Street. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A bicycle was reported stolen March 18 from a garage in the 2500 block of South Elmwood Avenue. A service door had been forced open.
Man robbed at gunpoint
A man was robbed at 11 p.m. March 18 at gunpoint in the 5300 block of West Cermak Road.
The victim told police he was approached by two men, one of which pulled out a handgun and demanded his money.
One of the men then took $455 from the victim’s pocket and both got into a white Pontiac Bonneville and fled east on Cermak Road.
The victim was not injured.
Woman’s purse snatched, husband gives chase
A woman reported her purse being snatched in the 4600 block of West Cermak Road just before 2 p.m. March 20.
The victim was approached by a man described as black, 30 years old, 5-feet 6-inches tall, weighing 140 pounds with braids and wearing a dark blue jacket and white pants, who then grabbed her purse from her shoulder and fled west through the north alley of Cermak Road.
The victim’s husband gave chase and was able to recover the purse at 49th Place and the ‘L’ strip. There was $100 missing when the husband found the purse.
Police received a report of shots fired at 10:17 p.m. March 22 in the 1600 block of South 58th Court.
Someone fired four shots at the front of a residence, striking windows on the first and second floor.
Police believe the shooting was gang-related.
Burglary and theft reports
A gold, 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, containing a laptop, school books, miscellaneous ID cards and $600, was reported stolen March 17 in the 1300 block of South 48th Court. The keys were in the ignition and the car was left running and unattended.