Protect Your Home Against Silent Cold-Weather Killer
By S.E. Slack North of Alabama’s state capital, a couple died inside their RV. In Merriville, Ind., a family of four was found dead inside their home. The incidents had one thing in common: carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Centers for Disease Control states that more than 400 Americans die annually from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Another 20,000 visit hospital emergency rooms with about 4,000 people admitted for lengthier stays due to CO poisoning. Many of these visits occur during the colder months of the year.
CO builds up in enclosed, semi-enclosed or poorly vented spaces. It is found in combustion fumes in heating systems, gas ranges, burning charcoal or wood, and similar sources. People and animals are